Saturday, June 7, 2008

But of all these friends and lovers...

So its been 2 months to the day that I posted last. I have been going close to non stop. Along the way I designed lights for 2 shows, changed jobs, picked a city to live in next (Washington D.C.), had my new (to me) digital camera stolen, had my transmission spring a leak in Starke, FL., become a semi serious bicycle commuter for obvious reasons, have my truck fixed after I had left it 1000 miles behind, arrived in Ithaca, NY sans truck via rental car, settled in, opened the first of 22 shows this summer season, and cooked broccoli and squash for tonight dinner, and had a talk with an old friend.

This is my first day off since I have been in Ithaca, and it was wonderfully restful. I have been feeling under the weather for a day or so the rest was needed. I did however go to the thrift store, the ice cream shop, and the grocery store.

It was in the grocery store that I had a thought. It came to me as I was frantically, as my ride had already checked out, searching for the earl grey loose tea. At least for the moment combination of earl grey and dark chocolate brings to mind very specific people, places, and time frames. It is not just such odd food combinations as these, but I think I, at the very least, do they same thing with music. Specific bands and songs are mentally connected in time, and I know that these connections can change. Some songs are irreversibly tied to definite people and places. Some songs, however, can take on different personal subjects as circumstances change. That Avett Brothers song about leaving your love might take on a different meaning if you leave more than one lover (as a hypothetical example only, of course).

This rambling is simple a product of choices made in the past 2 years that have taken my life on an interesting path. Its exciting, its frightening, its contentment and restlessness all rolled into one.

P.S. - I have said it before, and I will probably say it again, but go do yourself a favor and pick up the complete works of Blind Willie Johnson. If you like music, especially the blues, then you should know this man.

1 comment:

Kathryn Thomas said...

glad to hear you arrived safely in ithaca. how is truck? doing any better?